WIth the fall season upon us and Halloween right around the corner, a pumpkin craving has been building. The pumpkin obsession sweeping through stores has an array of pumpkin flavored items to get your fix but stay with me. This delicious vegan pumpkin bread is a wholesome treat, a hybrid of breakfast and dessert. I have literally eaten this for a quick breakfast and for a post-dinner sweet treat. It is a traditional quick bread recipe, meaning there is no yeast and that it is leavened using a combination of baking soda and baking powder.
I adapted this recipe from the pumpkin bread recipe in this great vegan baking book. Colleen has numerous vegan cookbooks and her recipes have never failed to produce delicious results. I swapped the all-purpose flour for nutritious spelt flour, a distant cousin to wheat. Spelt has a high water solubility, allowing for easier digestibility for those with wheat sensitivity. Another benefit of spelt is the increased soluble fiber as compared to standard and durum wheat flours. Soluble fiber is beneficial for lowering blood cholesterol and regulating blood sugar levels. I also decreased the quantity of sugar a bit and added sunflower seeds for some crunch.
The first step is to mix flaxseed meal and water and let sit to thicken. This mixture will stand in as the egg replacement and act as a binder. The remaining wet ingredients are mixed together before adding the flaxseed mixture to it. Separately, the dry ingredients are combined and then added into the wet mixture. Folding in the raw sunflower seeds is the last step before dividing the mixture into two greased loaf pans.
This recipe freezes great and also makes a perfect hostess gift to bring along to fall gatherings. I gifted a loaf to a new mom and it went over quite well with her visiting company. She has patiently been waiting for the recipe. I hope you and your family enjoy this pumpkin treat too!
- 3 Tbsp. Flaxseed Meal
- 1/3 C. Water
- 1 1/2 C. Turbinado Sugar
- 15 oz. can Organic Pumpkin
- 1 1/2 C. Unsweetened Applesauce
- 3 C. Spelt Flour
- 1 tsp. ground Cloves
- 1 tsp. ground Cinnamom
- 1 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 C. Raw Sunflower Seeds
- Whisk the flaxseed meal and water together in a small bowl until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the Turbinado sugar, pumpkin and applesauce. Add the flaxseed mixture and mix well.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the spelt flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients into the large bowl containing the wet mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Add the sunflower seeds and fold them into the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly into two greased loaf pans.
- Bake for 1 hour. Allow to cool in pans for at least 20 minutes.