A simple combination can sometimes be the best. These grilled burritos are easy to throw together and the flavors of all the ingredients blend well without overpowering one another. Kale and sweet potatoes is a well known combo but I added in onion, oregano, sharp cheddar and a touch of crushed red pepper to kick it up a bit. When I made these the other day, I was disappointed when I looked down at my plate and there was no more burrito to munch.
Kale is a cruciferous nutritional powerhouse. It contains high amounts of the antioxidant vitamins A, C and K. This leafy vegetable also provides phytonutrients and promotes eye-health with the lutein and zeaxanthin compounds it contains. The humble sweet potato also delivers calcium, potassium, vitamin A and vitamin C. The antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients within the sweet potato make it a great addition to your meal lineup.
Assembly of these grilled burritos is simple and quick. The veggies are sauteed and then steamed before being wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla with grated cheddar. I used a non-stick grill/panini pan to give them a nice crisp crunch on the outside. Try them out for a quick lunch or dinner!
- 1 bunch of Organic Lacinato Kale, ribs removed and chopped into large pieces
- 1 1/2 C. Organic Sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 1/2" dice
- 1 C. Organic Yellow Onion, diced
- 1/4 tsp. Crushed red pepper
- 1 T. Oregano, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 C. sharp cheddar, grated
- 2 -8-10" whole wheat tortillas
- 2-3 tsp. olive oil
- 3/4 C. water
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute for roughly 3 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Add the cubed sweet potato and saute for another 2 minutes. Add the water and cover with a tight fitting lid to steam for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid, stir and add the kale, crushed red pepper and salt. Cover for another 2 minutes until greens are wilted. Remove from heat.
- Pre-heat a non-stick grill pan over medium heat. Divide the filling among the two tortillas and sprinkle with grated cheddar. Roll the burritos tightly, folding in the ends. Use a toothpick to hold them secure if needed.
- Grill them for 3-4 minutes per side or until the grill marks shows and the tortilla is crisp. Serve.