Fish tacos have become a popular menu item in the recent years. Many of these delicious tacos feature fried fish but you can have a healthy grilled fish taco with just as much flavor. The strips of coriander dusted Mahi are combined with jicama and apple slaw in a warm corn tortilla. To serve, all you need is some avocado, sliced green onions and a generous drizzling of lime juice!
The fresh slaw for these tacos is a combination of shredded purple cabbage, jicama and granny smith apple. Cabbage is a common ingredient in slaw but it is a terrific and healthy choice. Purple cabbage is low in saturated fat and cholesterol, and it contains fiber and anthocyanins. Jicama is an edible root also known as a Mexican Turnip. Once peeled, the flesh can be eaten raw and it has a great crunch, perfect for a slaw preparation. The granny smith apple brightens up the combination with the tart crisp flavor. The slaw is tossed with a fresh citrus and agave dressing to finish.
The Mahi fillets were cut into 1 inch square strips. I seasoned them with Kosher salt, freshly cracked black pepper and ground coriander. Coriander is a great complement to both fish and citrus as it imparts a fruity and pungent kick. Once seasoned, the Mahi is grilled on a non-stick grill pan for a few minutes on each side. While the fish is cooking, warm the tortillas in the oven for 5-8 minutes, wrapped in foil. Pile a helping of the jicama apple slaw on the tortilla, top with a strip of Mahi, a slice or two of avocado, a few sliced green onions and lime juice to finish.
- 4- 6 oz. Mahi fillets, wild caught
- 2 tsp. Ground Coriander
- 1-2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1- 2 tsp. Kosher salt- to season
- 1 tsp. Cracked Black Pepper- to season
- 1/2 small head Purple Cabbage, shredded*
- 1 large Granny Smith Apple, shredded*
- 1 small Jicama, shredded*
- 2 Tbsp. fresh squeezed Lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. fresh squeezed Lime juice
- 3 Tbsp. Agave
- 12-16 6" Corn tortillas (Depending on how the fish is cut into strips)
- 4-6 green onions, sliced
- 2 Haas Avocados, pitted and sliced
- 1-2 Limes, cut into wedges
- Pre-heat oven to 300 F. Wrap the corn tortillas in foil. Set aside.
- Slice the Mahi fillets into 1 inch strips. Drizzle the fillets with olive oil and season with the Kosher salt, black pepper and ground coriander evenly on each. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice, lime juice and agave together. In a large bowl, combine the shredded cabbage, jicama and granny smith apple. Pour the citrus and agave dressing over and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Place the foil wrapped tortillas in the oven for 5-6 minutes to warm. Remove and keep wrapped until serving.
- Meanwhile, pre-heat a non-stick grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the Mahi for approximately 3 minutes and then turn the fish over and grill for another 3 minutes.
- To serve, top a corn tortilla with the jicama apple slaw, 1 strip of grilled Mahi, a slice of avocado, a few green onions and lime wedge.
- * To quickly shred the cabbage, jicama and apple, use a shredding disk attachment in your food processor*