Weekend mornings around our house usually mean slow beginnings. A time to catch up after the busy week and spend time with our little one. It also means that I am taking the extra time and effort of making a yummy breakfast to start the day.
Waffles are a simple and delicious recipe to whip up. They are well received by adults and kids alike, and they are easy to customize with fruit and nuts to each persons preferences. This recipe features wholesome spelt flour and coconut milk to yield a nutritious vegan waffle. You could of course use an all-purpose flour or whole wheat in place of the spelt if you would like.
These coconut waffles come together quickly. It is as simple as mixing all the dry ingredients in one larger bowl and the wet ingredients in a smaller bowl and then combine all together. Another great thing about this recipe is that it yields ten to eleven waffles so you can freeze the remaining ones you don’t eat. Just allow for them to cool and wrap them individually in plastic wrap before freezing. Then during the week when your rushing to eat to get out the door just grab it out and pop it in the toaster. Spread with some almond butter or jam and go…delicious!
- 3 C. Spelt Flour
- 2 Tbsp. Baking Powder
- 3/4 tsp. Salt
- 3 Tbsp. Agave Syrup
- 2 (13.5 oz.) cans Coconut Milk, Organic
- 1/4 C. Coconut Oil, Organic
- 2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 C. Shredded Unsweetened Coconut, Organic
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together agave, coconut milk, coconut oil, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the larger bowl of dry ingredients. Add the unsweetened coconut flakes and stir until just combined. Allow batter to sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Preheat Waffle Iron to medium heat and coat with nonstick spray. (You may need to respray every 3 waffles or so to prevent sticking.)
- Scoop 1/2 C. of batter onto Waffle Iron and cook for approximately 2-3 minutes until golden brown. (I used a Waffle Iron that makes 6" waffles so adjust quantity of batter as needed if yours is larger or smaller.)
- Serve with fruit, coconut flakes, agave or other desired toppings.